Thursday, June 13, 2013

GPS - God Positions your Steps


“The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way.” – Psalm 37: 23

Like most men, my friend has a one–track mind when it comes to travel.  He likes to go from point A to point B, no detours, no alternate routes, minimal stops, just get in the car, put it into drive and get there.  One year, he and his wife were planning a trip to the Great Smokey Mountains of East Tennessee.  They had been there several times before and had their route memorized.  This particular year they decided to invite another couple to join them.  Shortly after leaving their home
with their friends in the backseat, the invited couple pulls a GPS out of their bag and turns it on.  Within seconds a female voice sounds from the GPS.  With a sinister grin my friend abruptly says, “Great, that’s all I need on this trip, another woman telling me how to drive!”

My friend’s story is sure to bring a chuckle. Yet, I have to admit, I frequently call upon my handy GPS when I am traveling.  There is a sense of peace and security that comes from typing in your destination and hearing that voice tell you turn by turn how to get there.

For those of us who trust in God, we can have that same peace and security as we travel through life.  The Bible says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your path” (Proverbs 3:5-6).   What a great promise.

If you are like me, I often get hard-headed and want to figure it out on my own.  That is usually where I make a wrong turn.  Can you relate?  The good news is that when we surrender to God and seek His guidance, He promises that through His Holy Spirit and through His written Word, He will shine His light on the path you are to walk.  You probably won’t hear an audible voice like the one in your car GPS, but through the Scriptures, or a tug on your soul, or the circumstances that surround you, soon you will be able to sense the direction God is leading

Take courage in this, God will never lead you where He doesn’t go before you.